summer is awesome. coffee is awesome.
but hot coffee on a hot summer day? not so awesome.
on a hot summer day, i want to sip something ice cold and refreshing. whether i'm out by the pool, prepping dinner, or running afternoon errands, an icey pick-me-up drink is just the ticket. before now, the best i could do was pour morning's leftover coffee into my blender with ice. a little bitter!
this summer, i discovered a new recipe for cold-brewed iced coffee that is perfect on a hot summer day!
the lovely people at Seattle's Best Coffee know the way to this girl's heart. they sent me a pound of ground Medium-Dark & Rich Roast and a nifty little Melitta Pour-Over 1-cup Coffee Brewer (which you can get at "Schmall-mart" for about $2). thankfully, they also included instructions for how to brew my own cold-brewed iced coffee.
be forewarned- the process takes 12 hours. but trust me when i say it is well worth it! taking your time with the cold-brewing process makes the perfect cup of iced coffee! plan on doing the prepwork the night before, and letting your coffee brew overnight, so you can enjoy your iced coffee the next day when that afternoon slump sets in.
// hint: do this TODAY so you can have fresh iced coffee tomorrow afternoon before the July 4th festivities! //
pick up the little Brewing Cone gadget (aka your new BFF), and all you need is fresh ground Seattle's Best Coffee and cold water. here is the recipe...
cold-brewed iced coffee (approx 2 8-oz servings)
1. pour 1 1/2 cups ground Seattle's Best Coffee into a large bowl.
2. add 1 cup cold water to grounds, stir gently. slowly add 1 1/2 cups more cold water, agitating the grounds as little as possible.
3. cover the bowl and let the coffee steep at room temperature for 12 hours. (overnight)
4. after 12 hours, strain the coffee grounds into a carafe or xl mason jar through a filter (using the Brewing Cone). this is your iced coffee concentrate. store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
5. to serve, add 1 part coffee concentrate to 3 parts water over ice. enjoy your smooth-tasting iced coffee with your favorite mix-ins. i like nonfat milk...yummmmmmm
love it? share a pic of your refreshing iced coffee on the Seattle's Best Coffee Facebook page, or on Instagram tagged @SeattlesBestCoffee #icedcoffee