going vegan has definitely not kept us from enjoying some of our favorite flavors. on a lazy Sunday afternoon, BigGirl had the hankering for a sweet baked treat. a few clicks on the interweb and a quick trip to the grocery store later, we were whipping up 100% organic vegan cupcakes and icing.
and let me tell you, flavor was not sacrificed. we didn't even miss the eggs, milk, or butter that is in "normal" cupcakes and icing. our vegan cupcakes were so delicious, surprisingly light and fluffy, yet rich in flavor. we satisfied our sweet tooth without breaking our vegan challenge! these recipes are modified from My Vegan Cookbook and The Daily Green.
2 c flour (we used organic unbleached)
3/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 c water
2 Tbs melted non-dairy butter
2 Tbs canola oil or vegetable oil
1 tsp clear vanilla extract or syrup
1 tsp lemon juice
1. prepare pan with cupcake liners and preheat the oven to 350.
2. in a mixing bowl, add dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder. stir together.
3. in a separate mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients: water, butter, oil, vanilla, lemon juice. stir together.
4. pour the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients. stir by hand with a spoon until all ingredients are well combined. do not over mix, do not use an electric mixer.
5. pour the batter into the cupcake cups to 3/4 full. bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. let cool before icing.
Vegan Buttercream Icing
1/2 c non-dairy butter, softened
3 c powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbs coconut milk
1. in a mixing bowl, cream butter to fluffy.
2. add powdered sugar and continue to fluff.
3. slowly add milk and vanilla while stirring.
4. beat on high until very light and fluffy.
5. add milk by the teaspoon to reach desired consistency.
6. frost your vegan cupcakes!