i searched all the other stores. i used the brand website store locator. i asked the grocery stocking guy to check in the back. nothing. Bubba's favorite breakfast bars were gone forever. we tried other brands but it just wasn't the same. Bubba holds pretty high standards for his breakfast bar- it is the most important meal of the day, after all.
well, you know what they say, desperate times call for desperate measures. i decided it was up to me. i had to make my own gluten-free chewy granola bars. i found a really great recipe and modified it a little bit, and yall, these bars have completely replaced Bubba's beloved $5 breakfast bars. they are a HUGE hit! i make a batch every week now. the whole family loves them. and not only for breakfast either - they make a yummy snack any time! i have told enough people about these delicious gluten-free chocolate chewy granola bars to warrant a blog post, so here you have it.
- 2 cups gluten-free quick-rolled oats
- 2 cups gluten-free Chex cereal (any flavor, crumbled)
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1/3 cup natural brown sugar
- 3 1/4 cups marshmallows (small size)
- line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper & set aside.
- clear space in your refrigerator for the cookie sheet.
- in a large bowl, combine oats, cereal, almonds, chocolate chips, and salt. mix well.
- IMPORTANT: your kitchen is about to smell amazing. melting coconut oil and brown sugar is the scent of heaven, i'm sure of it. dear Yankee Candle: Melting Coconut Oil and Brown Sugar. you're welcome.
- in a large saucepan, melt coconut oil over medium heat stirring constantly. add the brown sugar and keep stirring.
- IMPORTANT: keep stirring and do not walk away from the stove because you do not want this to burn. trust me.
- when the heavenly melting coconut oil and brown sugar reaches a thick paste-like consistency, add the marshmallows and reduce heat to low.
- continue stirring constantly and inhaling heaven's aroma. you want the marshmallows completely melted and well combined with the oil-sugar. it'll be thick and gloopy.
- turn off the heat and pour the marshmallow mixture into the oats mixture bowl.
- stir stir stir until well mixed together.
- spread the sticky granola onto the parchment paper lined cookie sheet, patting it down with the back of your spoon or spatula to make it flat and even.
- refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- when you take them out of the refrigerator, slice into bars with a pizza cutter or sharp knife. if they crumble or fall apart, refrigerate for longer.
- store cut bars in an air-tight container (separating layers with parchment paper so they don't stick together) in the fridge.