|BigGirl's first year of homeschooling, age 2|
when we started homeschooling BigGirl 4 years ago, i had no idea what i was doing or how we were going to do it. but, we made the decision to homeschool her and it felt natural and right from the very beginning. (i think that's how you know it's what God wants.)
over the years i've learned that homeschooling takes a lot of work and a lot of prayer. when we are overwhelmed, worried, stressed out, or just downright tired, we pray. we struggle with time management, staying on task, and sometimes subjects that just aren't any fun. when the going gets tough, we stop what we're doing and look to Jesus. God gives me the strength to continue on this path, and He fills our homeschool days with peace.
i keep this little note tucked in my planner for daily or as-needed reference.
here are 10 scriptures (NIV or NKJV) that i pray specifically for our homeschool days, my lesson plans, and my children:
1. Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
2. Deuteronomy 6:5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.
3. 2 Peter 1:3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
4. Acts 4:13 When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.
5. James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
6. Isaiah 41:10 do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
7. Psalm 23:4 I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
8. Galatians 6:9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
9. Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
10. 2 Timothy 2:16 Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly.
"i don't know how you do it..." is the response i get most often when i tell people that we homeschool our children.
and i'm not kidding when i reply: "...with lots of prayer."
what are your favorite scriptures to pray for homeschooling?